
This is day two of a two week stay at the JKB Ranch in Villa Grove, Colorado. We arrived Saturday morning after traveling for 12 hours and spent the rest of the evening getting to know each other and acclimating to the elevation.
Sunday started out at daybreak. Ice (Aislyn) and I took the four-wheelers three miles down into the pasture to bring the horses up- always my favorite part of the day. We got the horses ready to orientate the girls and then ventured into the mountains for a quick orientation ride.
This is my fifth summer volunteering at the ranch and the first time I've been caught in a storm with 10 sophmore girls that have never ridden before. Lightening strikes, and thunder rolling and echoing through the mountains can be frightening. Though, being wet and cold is worse I think. However, this was no ordinary storm - the hail that fell pelted us and our horses as we raced (at a walk) back to the barn. We took cover in the barn while the horses turned their butts to the wind.
This is my fifth summer volunteering at the ranch and the first time I've been caught in a storm with 10 sophmore girls that have never ridden before. Lightening strikes, and thunder rolling and echoing through the mountains can be frightening. Though, being wet and cold is worse I think. However, this was no ordinary storm - the hail that fell pelted us and our horses as we raced (at a walk) back to the barn. We took cover in the barn while the horses turned their butts to the wind.
Finally, the hail stopped and we were able to get back to the lodge for a late lunch. Group two had a much drier and warmer orientation ride. They even got to gallop their horses for the sake of learning to stop.
The day wrapped up at our chapel overlooking the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. The service was beautiful, and combined with the sweet sound of Colorado Skies I was watery-eyed once again. Not sure what gets me; the music, the lyrics, the gospel, or that Kyle is there- probably the combination. Regardless, it's the most peaceful place to celebrate life.
No comments:
Post a Comment